170g caster sugar
170g self-raising flour
50g coffee grounds
2tbsp baking powder
225g icing sugar
2 shots of espresso
Handful of walnuts (optional)
1. Heat oven to 160’C/140 fan. Line and grease 2 x 18cm sandwich tins. Add the sugar and butter to a bowl and whisk until very fluffy and pale.
2. Whisk the eggs in a mug with a fork, then add them gradually to the mixture with 1 tbsp flour each time. Once eggs are fully incorporated into the mix, add the remaining flour, coffee grounds and baking powder and fold in gently.
3. Add 1 shot espresso to mixture, still folding. Divide into sandwich tins and cook for 25-30 minutes until risen and firm. Insert a skewer into the middle and make sure it comes out clean. Leave to cool in tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
4. Meanwhile make the icing by beating the icing sugar with the butter until light and fluffy. Add another shot of espresso. Whisk, then cover and place aside until ready to ice the cake.
5. Once sponges have completely cooled, spread half the icing on the bottom of one sponge, leaving around half the icing for the other sponge. Sandwich together, pipe neatly with remaining icing.
6. Decorate with either walnuts or coffee beans.