500g melon skins (honeydew or watermelon is best)
250g red onion
1 garlic clove
2cm fresh root ginger
Pinch dried chilli flakes
250ml distilled malt vinegar
125g light muscovado sugar
Half tsp salt
- Dice melon rind into one inch cubes. Dice red onion, finely chop garlic and grate ginger (leaving the skin on).
- Place the melon skin, onion, garlic, ginger and chilli flakes into a heavy bottom saucepan. Stir in the vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Stir the mixture over a medium heat until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to simmer the chutney for around one hour (or until the melon skin is soft). As it thickens, stir more frequently and watch that the sugar does not begin to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- You’ll know the chutney is done when you can scrape your spoon across the bottom of the pan and the chutney does not flow back into the gap.
- Chill overnight and enjoy.