Do you find yourself scrapping perfectly crispy potatoes into the bin after Christmas dinner? You’re not alone, the equivalent of four million Christmas dinners are thrown away every year in the UK.
We’ve asked our project chef Sean Campbell to share his easy and practical tips on reducing your festive food waste. Not only will it save you money, it’ll help reduce your carbon footprint and of course turn your leftovers into tasty meal ideas!
1. Plan your quanitites: Work out how much of everything you will need. As a guide, per person you’ll want approximately 250g potatoes, 150g turkey, 100g roasted vegetables, 100g stuffing, 2-3 pigs in blankets and 125ml gravy.
2. Turkey and leek pie: Use up your turkey scraps to make a heart, deep-filled pie. Make a simple sauce by heating the butter and adding in some leeks and thyme. Stir in the flour, pour in your turkey stock, then add the cream and leave to simmer. Stir through your turkey scraps, transfer into an oven-proof dish and top with a pastry of your choice. Brush with egg yolk and bake for 45 minutes at 180’C.
3. Roast potato snack pots: Shallow fry your leftover roasties until gold and crispy. Drain off and sprinkle with cheese and any leftover diced pigs in blankets. Drizzle with mayo or a sprinkling of paprika for the ultimate Boxing Day snack pot!
4. Sprout pesto: Liven up your leftover sprouts by making an earthy pesto by blitzing them with herbs, garlic and olive oil. Or if you’re feeling adventurous, add them to salads or macaroni cheese – great for a boxing day buffet!
5. Stuffing meatballs: Stuffing balls tend to freeze well and are full of flavour. Once defrosted, use to bulk out meatballs or burgers.
6. Carrot and parsnip bubble & squeak: Add any roasted root veg to a frying pan with a splash of oil, mashing and turning as you go. Shape into patties (or one giant one) and serve when golden. Make a well in the middle and crack an egg into the well, letting them cook in the bubble and squeak. Delish!
7. Christmas pudding ice cream: Use up your leftovers to make a tasty Christmas pudding ice cream. Simply crumble your leftover pudding, add a tin of custard and approximately 200ml whipped double cream. Mix all together and put in an airtight container in the freezer – perfect for Boxing Day.