Rendang Paste Ingredients
100g round shallots, peeled
100g galangal, washed
50g ginger, peeled
5 fresh lemongrass (middle section)
100g garlic, peeled
15 dried long red chillies, re-hydrated
200g tamarind paste (without the seeds)
50g cumin seeds, toasted
1tbsp coriander seeds, toasted
2kg preferred beef cut, browned/seared
2 cinnamon sticks
5 star anise
3 cardamom pods
2 whole lemongrass, smashed/pounded
6 fresh lime leaves
2 tins 400ml coconut milk
2 tbsp brown sugar
1. To make the rendang paste, blitz all the ingredients in a food processor.
2. Heat up 2 tbsp oil in a wok, add the rendang paste and slowly cook for 30 minutes over a low heat. You will need to constantly stir the paste to stop it from burning.
3. Add in the remaining dry ingredients and cook for another ten minutes.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring the curry to the boil. Leave to simmer for one and a half hours.
5. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, as required.