400g strong white flour
80g caster sugar
80g unsalted butter
6g bicarbonate soda
240g buttermilk (or 160g full fat yoghurt mixed with 80ml milk)
Extra flour, for dusting
2 egg yolks, to egg wash tops of scones
- Per-heat the oven to 200’C.
- Blend buttermilk and sugar together in a jug and leave overnight. This will eliminate sugar spotting on your scones.
- Place all other ingredients into a large bowl and proceed to rub fat into flour, salt and bicarb. Ensure the mixture is well combined.
- Add the buttermilk and sugar, blend together and bring to a rough dough.
- Tip onto work surface and continue to form into a smooth dough.
- Dust bench and roll out out to 3/4 inches thickness.
- Dust your cutter well before cutting and ensure you cut straight down.
- Place on a baking sheet so they are almost touching and lightly egg wash.
- Bake in oven for 12 minutes. When ready, take out and place on a cooling rack.
If you prefer fruit scones, add 140g sultanas (or dried fruit of your choice). Add this once you have a rough dough.
If you prefer cheese scones, add 1/2 tsp smoked paprika and 1/s tsp mustard powder to the flour. Then add 100g strong mature grated Cheddar and 20g grated Parmesan at the rough dough stage.
You may also want to have some clotted cream and thick gooey jam on hand!