330g self raising flour
2tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
3 free range eggs
70g caster sugar
70g butter + extra for frying
Drop sunflower/vegetable oil
1tsp vanilla extract or essence
Anything you choose (I have used melted chocolate, crushed oreo, caramelised banana and maple syrup)
1. Melt butter and set aside to cool slightly. Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt and sugar) in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs thoroughly, then pour them into the dry mixture with the melted butter. Whisk together until smooth.
3. Add melted butter to this mixture and whisk again. Then add milk and vanilla gradually. Whisk until smooth and bubbly. The mixture should be a thick batter, so stop adding milk if it’s going past this point.
4. Heat a small knob of butter with a drop of vegetable oil (approx. 2tsp) on a medium heat. The oil stops the butter from burning.
5. Add 2-3tbsp of the batter to the hot pan, cook on one side for 2 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface. Then flip the pancake with your utensil of choice – a fish slice works a treat!
6. Cook for 1-2 minutes on the other side and have a taste. The first pancake is usually a trial so you can adapt to your liking. Repeat the process with all the batter.
7. Stack them up with your toppings of choice and tuck in!