Produces 10 portions.
1kg hake (3.5oz portion)
15ml olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
1 piece of ginger, grated
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 red chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped
4 sticks of lemongrass, beaten and chopped
Coriander shoots to garnish
3tbsp medium curry powder
3tbsp muscovado sugar
800ml coconut milk
1 bunch coriander stems, finely chopped and leaves picked
10g onion seeds
1 red onion
50g coconut flakes, toasted
200ml fish stock
650g black rice
- Portion the fish into 3.5oz and set aside.
- Heat olive oil, add onions and cook gently until soft. Add garlic, ginger, lemongrass, coriander stalks and red chilli. Cook on a low heat for two minutes or until fragrant.
- Add curry powder and muscovado sugar, cooking until the sugar begins to dissolve.
- Add fish stock and reduce by half. Add coconut milk and allow to simmer for ten minutes.
- Place hake into sauce and gently simmer for six minutes.
- Place the washed black rice in a tray with enough water to cover and steam for 25 minutes.
- Prep cauliflower into small florets and steam for five minutes.
- Fry sliced red onion until soft in a tbsp olive oil. Add curry powder and cauliflower, then finish with the onion seeds once the cauliflower is golden brown.
- To serve, portion the rice on the plate and top with poached hake, coconut curry sauce and roasted cauliflower.
- Sprinkle with coconut flakes and coriander shoots for extra crunch.