Makes: 1 loaf
100g strong flour
50g sourdough starter
75g mixed peel
75g chopped dried apricots
30g roughly chopped pistachios
2 shots of Cointreau
90ml water, at room temperature
25g caster sugar
200g bread flour
2g ground mixed spice
50g unsalted butter
50g butter, melted
Pistachios, finely chopped
50g icing sugar
1. Make the fermente (12-15 hours before making the dough) by mixing water, strong flour and sourdough starter together. Set aside, ambient and covered. At the same time mix the fruit, Cointreau and pistachios, cover, and leave to soak.
2. To make the dough, mix all the dough ingredients with the ferment, and then knead, for approx. 7 minutes, to form a smooth elastic dough.
3. Leave to prove for 1-2 hours and then add the fruit soaker and work into the dough, by folding in and then giving the dough a little knead. For best results, now place the dough in the fridge overnight (however it is possible to make on the day just prove for 1 -2 hours instead).
4. Remove dough from fridge and roll into a rectangle on a floured surface about 30x20cm. Roll marzipan into the same length and place in the middle of the dough. Roll the dough around the marzipan like a sausage roll and then tuck over the ends to seal in the marzipan.
5. Cover and prove for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size. Bake at 180’C for 15-20 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack, allowing to cool.
7. To finish, brush with melted butter and dust with icing sugar and pistachios.