Makes: 7 x 80g doughnuts
- 281g plain flour
- 142ml coconut milk
- 112g vegan butter/Flora
- 40g caster sugar
- 10g dried yeast
- 10ml vanilla essence
Pineapple rum jam ingredients:
- 1/4 pineapple
- 25g caster sugar
- 25ml water
- 100ml white rum
- 1/2 lime, juice and zest
- 100g pineapple juice
Pina colada custard ingredients:
- 350ml fresh coconut milk
- 150ml tinned coconut milk
- 58g cornflour
- 80g caster sugar
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 200ml pineapple juice
- 100ml white rum
Rum lime icing ingredients:
- 100g icing sugar
- 25ml white rum
- Sprinkling desiccated coconut
- 1/2 lime, zest and juice
- To make the doughnuts, warm the milk and add the dried yeast to it to activate it.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a mixer. Add the milk and yeast mix.
- Combine using a dough hook attachment, mixing until a smooth dough is formed (roughly 10-15 minutes).
- Set aside to prove for at least 20 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Spray surface with greasing spray (if you have), weigh the doughnuts at 80g each and roll into balls.
- Line tray with baking parchment, place the balls on the paper and lightly cover with cling film. Leave to prove in a warm area for roughly 20 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Once proved, fry the doughnuts at 175’C for 3 minutes each side, or until golden brown. Set aside on jay cloths to cool and allow the oil to drain.
- To make the custard, combine both coconut milks, cornflour, sugar and lime together in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, whisking it. Cook until thickened (should take about 15 minutes).
- Once thick, place in a clean bowl and cover with clingfilm (ensuring it’s touching the top of the custard) and place in fridge once cool.
- Once completely cool, add the pineapple juice and rum, beating with a spatula until smooth.
- To make the jam, combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes, or until pineapple is soft. You may need to add more water if all liquid evaporates.
- Once pineapple is soft, blitz until smooth and leave to cool.
- To make the icing, sift icing sugar and mix with remaining ingredients, until smooth.
- Toast coconut gently for two minutes.
To fill and glaze doughnuts:
- Place jam and custard in the piping bag (one on each side) and fill doughnuts.
- To glaze, drizzle a thin layer of icing on top and sprinkle coconut over the top to finish.