Produces 30 pieces.
500g butter, at room temperature
250g icing sugar
500g plain flour
125g demerara sugar, for rolling
- Pre-heat the oven to 155’C. Sieve all dry ingredients (excluding the demerara sugar) into a mixing bowl.
- Break the butter into medium sized pieces and add to the dry ingredients. Mix by hand or on a low speed in a machine, scraping down if necessary halfway through, until thoroughly combine. The trick here is not to overwork.
- Split the dough into four equal parts and roll into sausage shapes, approx. 5cm diameter.
- Spread demerara sugar onto a tray and roll the shortbread in it, to completely cover the outside in sugar.
- Cut into discs, roughly 10mm x 15mm.
- Place on a lined tray and bake for 15-20 minutes. Allow to completely cool before serving.